Who is Inger Ash Wolfe?

I was intrigued by The Calling (published by McClelland & Stewart) simply because of what I read on the jacket of the book …”Inger Ash Wolfe is the pseudonym of a well-known North American writer”. What? It took me a few seconds to realize that they weren’t going to tell us who wrote The Calling.  That alone made me want to read it. I started putting two and two together and came up with my own theory of who the writer actually is and why we’re not to know. Anyway, it is the first in a series of mysteries involving 61 year old Detective Inspector Hazel Micallef who is the acting chief of the Port Dundas police force… that was my first clue about the writer. The story is good, gripping, gruesome and intriguing. You’ve got the mystery unraveling in the book to figure out, plus the mystery of who the writer is. Great fun and of course it’s well written… the writer has obviously had lots of experience. Read it and let me know who you think the author is and I’ll tell you who I think he/she is.

Comments (8) »

1. Tristane Said,

August 16, 2009 @ 2:02 pm

So far in my reading of The Calling, I find that there are hints that this may not be a Canadian author. The description of a typical Ontario town (p. 17) has no Tim Horton’s, no Canadian Tire, no Chinese restaurant!!!! And why is the Ontario Provincial Police referred to as the OPS and not the OPP? The writer is not a Catholic either or the author would not have made the mistake of having a Catholic priest say the Lord’s Prayer adding the Protestant ending.

2. Linda Said,

August 17, 2009 @ 4:10 pm

Your comments are intresting – no double-double, no Canadian Tire money. I would have thought the editor would have picked up on the prayer stuff. Do you have any idea who wrote the book?

I still think the writer is a Canadian and she has had a long illustrious career in writing, with numerous awards and books to her credit. I think she wanted to write something entirely different so she chose mystery writing. She set it in Canada ignoring the advice of her editor to set it in the States to make more money. She has clout! And doesn’t need the money. She has a great sense of humour, and chuckles when she thinks that most of her ardent fans probably have no idea that she’s put pen to paper and started a mystery series. Hazel Micallef is 60 in the book, and my mystery writer has seen 60 come and go so would know all the aches and pains a typical 60 year old woman might have. Also because of the pseudonom she will never have to give an interview or thankfully, sign another book – she hates signing books. So… Who Is Inger Ash Wolfe?

3. Robin Said,

November 9, 2009 @ 1:02 pm

Linda,

I think it’s Russel Smith – the amazon.com listing states that it is. I wondered if this was a mistake (ie. the info came from the publisher who told them not to include it, but they did accidentally).

Thoughts?

Robin

4. linda Said,

November 12, 2009 @ 12:21 am

Your comment is interesting but my feeling that Inger Ash Wolfe is a woman was endorsed when I read the jacket of the newest book The Taken. It says “Inger Ash Wolfe is currently at work on her third Hazel Micallef mystery.” Her … So it looks like someone is trying to confuse us.
    Is it the publisher or Amazon? Interesting eh!

5. Janet Said,

February 12, 2010 @ 10:19 pm

I just found this site as I was searching for clues as to the identity of Inger Ash Wolfe …in The Calling, I noted the addition to the Lord’s Prayer …but, that last protestant bit attached IS said at Mass, but by the priest at Mass…and this would be accurate, considering the context with Simon and Father Rice. AS for OPS rather than OPP – just enough of a change to deflect liability ? As for the absence of Timmie’s …I understand there’s one in “The Taken” …

My guesses were/are (in this order) Giles Blunt, Linwood Barclay, Margaret Atwood (and I think Linda you’re alluding to her ?)

6. linda Said,

February 13, 2010 @ 4:18 pm

Yes… I think it’s Margaret Atwood. There’s reference to the author being a woman on the jacket of The Taken. And I can’t think of any other author who fits the bill. I think she’s pulled a fast one on her fans and is laughing to herself and enjoying every moment.

7. Carol Said,

February 7, 2012 @ 8:37 am

Whoever it is he or she needs to proof his/her work a little better. On page 260 of The Calling Constable Neven says the “lights are off” inside victim Tamara Laurence’s house. Then on Page 262 when the killer is remembering his murder of Tamara Laurence he states he turned off the lights before going to his car. Does that publisher have editors? Why didn’t they catch this gaff? LOL

8. linda Said,

February 9, 2012 @ 11:56 am

Your comment reminded me… did you know that French Canadians don’t say “turn off the lights”… they say “close the lights”. So, does this mean that we can narrow down the search for the real Inger Ash Wolfe even further by eliminating female French Canadian writers… or, does it mean that the editor did their job well and caught this. Hmmm…